Chris Wayman

Hovergarage Straping trailer to heavier trailer

Unloading Container

The first job we tackled was fitting the Skirt Retention Strip.It was marked out as suggested and no problems were encountered. After the first rivet, a paper-clip was opened out to a hook shape to hold the nylon spacer in position as the rivet was inserted. This completed all the lower fixings. Just in time we found out that the upper fixings were to be made with the black-coated rivets. After a count-up, this became obvious. Again the paper-clip was a huge help. The rear strip was drilled as advised and fitted. The spacings were not quite to my liking, but in the end only one rear skirt segment was modified and that may not need to be done at replacement time.

The next job was to fit the Rescue Lift Handles (3962). The front handles were spaced from the Skirt Retention Strip by a piece of wood about 3/8" thick which worked well.

When I first ordered my Hovertrek, I queried in my own mind if I would really need a trailer as I already have two (one large and one medium size).

Well, be assured from my experience, the craft arrived on 17th July 2018 at Felixstowe Docks (as seen in photos) was loaded onto my large trailer (towing equipment and lighting not compatible) and taken to my lift-shed in Cambridgeshire the same day. From there on it was worked on until completion on 16th November 2018 only being moved back by about 10 or 12 inches on its trailer to fit the skirt, until its first flight on 11th December 2018 at Wyboston Lakes.

In my lift-shed I have the advantage of a level solid concrete floor and we found that a 20 litre oil drum fitted under the rear box section of the trailer and two blocks of wood to a thickness of 9.5 inches under the spare wheel gave us a level and solid craft (checking with a spirit level on the floor of the craft in several places).

We found that every operation to build this craft could be achieved with this set-up, a small step-ladder being necessary to climb into the craft and that access to all operations underneath were totally unobstructed. Obviously the rear arms had to be moved to fit various parts, but we marvelled how well this trailer had been designed. We had to change the towing-hitch and rewire to British and European standards. Although Chris had sent a chrome 2 inch ball, it was impractical to change this as I have three vehicles that I could use and also any other vehicle would need to match.

The only other time we had to move the craft was to fit the power-unit and position it under the overhead crane ,then it was returned to its original position.

I would also like to emphasise the importance of reading all the information available - discs and downloads and study them well. Also study any photos! At the end of the day a phone-call to Indiana will put your mind at rest (or make you feel very stupid!) One thing I think was very important was to have all the wiring diagrams blown-up twice the size and then colour them in. It may not be obvious at first, but wiring starting with one item at a time (I started with the bilge pump) it soon becomes easy.